Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Yard Work 2009 - Extra!

Pretty flowers no one sees - they are on the back side of the house

The weather was so nice this weekend - we got out in the yard and tended to all kinds of issues that had waited patiently all winter. Maybe not patiently...but the issues themselves could only nag at us. I certainly felt fine ignoring them for a while.

Mick did a great job weeding out our flower beds and the long strip down our front fence. It looks awesome now.

I cleaned up some large branches that had fallen in our backyard from a neighbor's tree during the December snows. I trimmed up the small stuff, and cut up the large main branches for firewood. We're going camping soon - so that pile of cut up branches just might last about an hour or two.
Right...don't believe everything you read

I also pulled out the edger and spent way too much time edging. I posted a while back about our 'bump-less' edger that didn't work. It still doesn't work, so every couple of feet of lawn I have to pull off the housing on the bottom of the edger and advance the spool.

Looking at the mechanism in there - it seems like it has a good idea behind it. I guess if the line gets short, the edger should rotate faster. Then a little switch should move in place based on solid physics principles. When the edger is stopped and started again, the mechanism (I like that word) should advance the spool. This rotation should allow more line should go out, thus slowing down the rotation of the motor. Simple physics. Maybe I just can't figure out what angle to hold the edger. Maybe it needs a sudden stop to jolt the little switch. Maybe the switch has some friction in the wrong spot, preventing it from moving at the right time. Maybe I just bought a defective product - and the other 99,999 edgers of that 99.999% defect-free batch are fine.

Enough of that...it still bugs me.

Look at that edge!

I also got to work on moving the step for the new gate I built in our back fence. Connor helped me with this - I had a lot of cinder blocks to move from the old location to the new spot. That will have to be another post...stay turned Uncle Earl. I know you can't wait for the Fix The Fence saga to be completed.

No comments: