Saturday, March 08, 2008

Yard work 2008

I got out the lawn mower and started the Spring 2008 yard season this week. Officially it was March 5th. Normally, the first grass cutting of the year takes place in February. In 2007, I almost started in January - though the workweek / weekend dates placed the weekend I started as the first weekend in February. This year happened to be March due to the rain patterns. February was drier than normal - but the temperature was probably colder than normal. Thus the grass was a little slower starting to grow.

The Portland weather in winter doesn't get that cold. This year I think our lowest temperature in the Tualatin area was 23° F. We had two close brushes with snow events - on Christmas day, and one more day in January. The snow lasted on the ground for just a few hours. So - our grass doesn't get that nice brown dirt color - it stays green all year. Which is nice, since the white snow cover just doesn't exist.

The grass does stop growing in winter, however. The last mowing of the season usually takes place in November. I try and do that after the last leaves have fallen - it is nice not to see leaves on the grass all winter. I don't think I ever mowed in December. The timing is all about when the rain stops.

Some years November and Decemeber can have constant rain. Not inches and inches per day - just enough to keep the ground wet. Mowing wet grass is no fun - so the timing of the first cut depends upon the temperature getting warm enough for growth, and then enough dry days so my bagger falls off with wet grass.

Once it starts growing, it doesn't slow down until July. In another week or two, the growth rate will be at the level of needing a cut once a week. At that speed, I can finish the front and back yards without needing to empty the bagger. We don't have that much yard. And why do I use the bagger, instead of doing the 'leave the clippings on the grass'? Well - I would need to cut it more than once a week to keep the cut short enough so that the grass wasn't covered in clippings. Maybe some day...

Once I added gas to the lawn mower, it started right up. OK - now on the first pull - it took about 10 pulls to get the gas flowing. Last fall I ran it dry. I did the oil change then - it is a lot easier to change the oil when it is warm. And that way I could start the season immediately, without having to do the maintenance first.

Here is the finished result. I meant to take a photo of the before and after - but I must have been so excited to get started that I forgot until I was finished.

Front yard with the flowers starting up


Back yard with the the clear sky and setting sun.

To those of you living in the Midwest or other snow zones....enjoy the white ground cover while you can - your turn will come soon enough!

No comments: