Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Yard Work 2008 #9

With rain forecasted for the next week (it is time for the Portland Rose Festival after all) - I jumped on the mowing chores yesterday, June 2nd for cut number nine. With the last cutting looking a little ragged, I decided to check out the sharpness of my cutting blade. Sure enough - it was pretty dull. I last sharpened the blade at least two years ago.

I fould a sharpening stone and started on the blade. After a minute or so, I remembered that this was much easier last time because I used my Dremel tool. A quick search of the garage located the tool. A quick change of tool bit to the sharpening bit. Plug it in - and it doesn't work. I spent the next hour trying to get the Dremel to work. I checked the motor brushes which were the most likely candidate for problems - but I didn't notice any problems. Then I took the whole thing apart, clearing out dust and looking for something wrong. I got out the multimeter and traced the power...nothing.

Looking outside and seeing that the rain was starting early - I put away the Dremel and cut the grass. Now - all the dead spots, most likely due to Yukon's work, were clearly visible. So I spent the next hour breaking up the hard spots on the ground, mixing in some better soil, and putting on some grass seed. With the next week of rain - we'll see what happens. It is Rose Festival....

No comments: