Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Eight down, three to go. Or - fix the path please!

I got post number eight placed in the ground this weekend. This is the first post after the new gate that I created last weekend. I can't believe how long it took to measure, re-measure, estimate, think about all the issues, think again, re-measure, finally cut the pieces and start to assemble everything...and then rethink it again. Apparently when you don't consider that your screws are 3" long - they won't help you connect two 2x4s when laid flat.

So Connor and I went to the helpful and confusing Home Depot, since the True Value which is closer, is closed on Sunday. We managed to find some parts that would help (actually there are more that 140 parts at least that are similar to what I was looking for in the aisle).

Closeup of the connector and new hinge

Completed gate

At siome future point plan to finish off the top of the gate - maybe with a nice curve. But, for now, I need to keep getting the remaining posts planted. For post number eight - I had a few issues to deal with. Six inches down - I hit a piece of rebar, sticking 4 inches into where I needed the hole. Not sure why that is there - it goes under our deck, but I don't see any concrete at this location, and I didn't want to make this hole huge trying to pull the rebar. So - after dealing with that trouble - I found I was digging right near a sprinkler head. Yikes! When I got to two feet down - I found a very nice root from one of two close trees. Fun stuff...this post-hole digging. Right?

The rebar is at the top right corner...it wouldn't move

As I was getting ready to position the post - a friend stopped by to say high. And he had a few more words which I didn't quite understand. Apparently, my fence work has caused commuting problems for this squirrel. We see him running along the fence from yard to yard - and he wasn't happy about the construction delays. I guess I forgot to post notices and hire a flagging crew.

C'mon! Let me through - I'm late!

This just isn't working...

So now that the rains have started, and November is turning out to be an above average rainfall month - I have three more posts to go.

After the posts - I still need to deal with the gate latch (make it work from both sides), build a step or two up to the deck, and then move our old steps from the other gate to this one - and postition, level them, re-position them, start over with a better foundation.... You get the picture. Sounds like another blog post coming you way soon.

No comments: