Saturday, November 08, 2008

The stormy weather can't stop me - posts nine and ten are looking good!

We've been having rain here in the the Pacific Northwest. I'm not sure about this - but I think it has rained everyday since at least before Halloween. This makes the fence fixing a little more challenging. The return to PST from PDST didn't help either...

This week it took me two nights after work to dig the hole for fence post replacement number nine. Something about the location of the hole caused me problems. See...it was about two feet from a maple tree. The maple tree has a foot and a half diameter trunk. The roots encountered in this post hole were some of the worst I've dealt with. The post ended up being located directly between two roots that paralleled each other between one and two feet below ground. That post hole digger just couldn't cut them, and they were too deep to be able to get a good swing with an axe. Maybe if I had a sawzall - that could have got them out. Anyway - I dug the hole Wednesday and Thursday nights after work, and put the post in the concrete this morning. The rain started to let up when I finished.

After a nice lunch of leftover pizza, the sun came out and the day looked great. With all the rain we've been having, the temperatures have been in the 60s. So - with no excuse - I looked at the fence and knew that if I didn't continue, I'd be wishing that I had when I was out there in the pouring rain tomorrow. So I got out and dug hole number ten - this was the easiest hole yet. No rocks, roots, or rebar. By dinnertime - the post was set.

One more post to go! See if you can figure out how many sections my fence has...I am not replacing the corner posts, and I will have replace 11 posts when I get that last post done. It is a little tricky - since I did add the gate, but you can count the gate as a section. Leave a comment and I can reveal the answer sometime soon. Or stop by for dinner some time and count them yourself, and marvel at my surveying skills, brute force hole digging labor, or just enjoy the two-toned fence color.

No comments: